The first sale of land at Riccarton was 30 acres between the new railway line and Hagley Park with frontage on to the Avon River. It was advertised as “the most important sale of suburb land ever held in Canterbury”. Some sections sold for the huge price of £900 an acre. Unfortunately there had been an overseas crash in November 1878 and the bonanza was over. Some land fell back to John and later sold for £40 a quarter acre section.
Other sales took place in 1883-1899.
This poster is the last sale of land in 1909.